Friday, December 11, 2009

Save Money Eating At Home

Eat at home. Or maybe I should say, eat food prepared at home. Every meal that you don't buy at a convenience store or a restaurant can save you money. Big money over time.

Even an egg sandwich. The arches offer a sausage and egg sandwich 2 for $3.00. But I can buy a dozen eggs and a dozen english muffins for $3.00. Replace the sausage with a thin slice of turkey ham (a thin slice of any lunch meat would have to be healthier than the mcsausage slice, don't you think?) and half a slice of cheese. So I spend less than $6 to buy the ingredients for a homemade equivalent of that sandwich that seems so convenient on the way to work. I'm getting it my way (I love a runny yolk). And I only need one sandwich each day. Instead of $3 a day on the two sandwiches (one of which I don't need), I eat healthier for less than 50 cents a day.

Do you pack your snacks and lunch for work? Brown bagging saves you money you can put straight into your 401K. David Bach's Finish Rich series explains The Latte Factor. Pay attention to the things you purchase and then make your plans with your overall savings and investment strategy in mind. Brown bagging (in a "green" reusable bag) can save you big money over time. Pack nutritious snacks that appeal to you so you won't be tempted to buy from vending machines.

Remember, if you keep doing the things you have been doing, you will keep getting the things you have been getting. To save money you will have to make changes. Food factors in our budget several times a day and therefore is an easy target to make a change that quickly accumulates.

No comments:

Post a Comment